AgreenSkills session, year: 1st session, 2014
Receiving laboratory: BIOGER CPP Biology and Risk Management in Agriculture - Plant Pathogenic Fungi Versailles - Grignon, France
Country of origin : Pakistan
Durable resistance to wheat leaf rust: characterization of selective forces shaping the pathogen populations, looking for signs of recombination in Pakistan, a putative centre of origin of the pathogen
The title of the present project is “Durable resistance to wheat leaf rust: characterization of selective forces shaping the pathogen populations, looking for signs of recombination in Pakistan, a putative centre of origin of the pathogen”. The present project is to look for recombination in Puccinia triticina populations causing wheat leaf rust growing in Pakistan, an area close to the supposed centre of origin of the fungus. Another reason for focusing on this area is the recent demonstration of recombination by the host INRA team in the Pakistani population of P. striiformis, a wheat pathogen fungus with a similar biology also considered up to now as reproducing strictly clonally.
I did my Bachelors in Agriculture (Hons.) and then proceeded to France for my MS leading to PhD. My Master and PhD was related to Microbiology/Plant Microbe interaction/Microbial ecology/Plant pathology/Mycology. I did my postdoctoral research in Chonnam National University South Korea and worked on the biological control of Cholletotrichum spp. in vegetables. My principal research interest is to work on the fungal diseases of plants/vegetables or crops, and their biological control.
- Lee, Y.S., Anees, M., Hyun, H.N., Kim, K.Y. 2013. Biocontrol potential of Lysobacter antibioticus HS124 against root-knot nematode (Meloidogyne incognita)causing disease in tomato. Nematology. 15 (5), 545-555.
- Naing, K.W., Anees, M., Sang, J.K., Nam, Y., Kim, Y.C., Kim, K.Y. 2013.Isolation and characterization of antifungal activity of Paenibacillus ehimensis KWN38 against soilborne phytopathgenic fungi belonging to variable taxonomic classes. Annals of Microbiology, DOI 10.1007/s13213-013-0632-y
- Hussain, T., Roohi, A., Hussain, M., Ahmed, I., Hermann, V.E., Kim, K.Y., Anees, M. 2013. Biochemical characterization and identification of bacterial strains isolated from drinking water sources of Kohat, Pakistan. African Journal of Microbiology Research. 7(16): 1579-1590
- Jamil, M., Zeb, S., Anees, M., Roohi, A., Ahmed, I., ur Rehman, S. and Rha, E.s. (2013) Role of Bacillus Licheniformis in phytoremediation of nickel contaminated soil cultivated with rice. International Journal of Phytoremediation. 10.1080/15226514.2013.798621.
- Xuan Hoa Nguyen, Kyaw Wai Naing, Young Seong Lee, Woo Jin Jung, Muhammad Anees and Kil Yong Kim. 2013. Antagonistic potential of Paenibacillus elgii HOA73 against root-knot nematode (Meloidogyne incognita). Nematology. 10.1163/15685411-00002737
- Hong, S.H., Anees, M., and Kim, K.Y. 2012. Integrated use of Paenibacillus ehimensis RS820 and the artificially prepared mixed compost against the root-knot nematodes causing disease in tomato. Biocontrol Science and Technology. 10.1080/09583157.2013.811468
- Yong Seong Lee, Muhammad Anees, Yun-Serk Park,Sun Bae Kim, Woo Jin Jung, Kil Yong kim. 2013. Purification and properties of a Meloidogyne-antagonistic chitinase from Lysobacter capsici YS1215. Nematology. 10.1163/15685411-00002745
- Abdullah Khan, Shahzad Munir, Qaiser Jamal, Muhammad Anees, Syed Asghar Shah, Sikandar Khan Sherwani, Abdul Basit, Gohar Ali, Asadullah, Mubashir Hussain. Biomass production of Pasteurella multocida using biofermenter.International Journal of Advanced Research. 1 (5): 142-151
- Muhammad Hayat, Iqbal Ahmad, Uzair Afaq, Sami Ullah Jan, Muhammad Anees, Tassadaq Hussain, Shahzad Munir, Sikandar Khan Sherwani, Sultan Ayaz, Mubbashir Hussain, Pakistan. 2013. Prevalence and molecular diagnosis of cutaneous leishmaniasis in local population of dir district, khyber pakhtunkhwa, pakistan. 21 (2): 359-364.
- Yong Seong Lee, Yun Suk Park,Muhammad Anees, Kil Yong kim. 2013. Characterization and role of gelatinolytic proteins secreted by Lysobacter capsici YS1215 in biocontrol of root-knot nematodes. Biocontrol, Science and Technology.10.1080/09583157.2013.840359
- Kyaw Wai Naing, Muhammad Anees, Sang Jun Kim, Myung Hee Kim, Kil Yong Kim. 2013. Biocontrol of late blight disease (Phytophthora capsici) of pepper and the plant growth promotion by Paenibacillus ehimensis KWN38. Accepted in Journal of Phytopathology.
- Bano, K., Khan, J., Rifat, Begum, H., Munir, S., ul Akbar, N., Ansari, J.A., and Anees, M. 2012. Patterns of antibiotic sensitivity of bacterial pathogens among urinary tract infections (UTI) patients in a Pakistani population. African Journal of Microbiology Reserch. 6(2) : 414-420.
- Munir, S., Hussain, M., Farooq, U., ZabidUllah, Jamal, Q., Afreen, M., Bano, K., Khan, J., Ayaz, S., Kim, K.Y., and Anees, M. 2012. Quantification of antibodies against poultry haemagglutinating viruses by haemagglutination inhibition test in Lahore. African Journal of Microbiology Research. 6(21): 4614-4619.
- Jamil, M., Anees, M., Ur-Rehman, S., and Rha, E.S. 2012. Effect of soil salinity on the growth, amino acids and ion contents of rice transgenic lines. African Journal of Biotechnology. 11(86). 15231-15235.
- Anees, M., Tronsmo, A., Edel-Hermann, V., Gautheron, N., Faloya, V., and Steinberg, C. 2010. Biotic changes in relation to local decrease in soil condusciveness to disease caused by Rhizoctonia solani. European Jounal of Plant Pathology. 126: 29-41.
- Anees, M., Tronsmo, A., Edel-Hermann, V., Hjeljord, L.G., Héraud, C., and Steinberg, C. 2010. Characterization of field isolates of Trichoderma antagonistic against Rhizoctonia solani. Fungal Biology. 114: 691-701.
- Anees, M., Edel-Hermann, V., and Steinberg, C. 2010. Build up of disease patches caused by Rhizoctonia solani. Soil Biology & Biochemistry. 42: 1661-1672.
Gold medal (1st position) in BSc (Hons) in Agriculture