Laura Soler Vasco
AgreenSkills session, year: 2nd session, 2013
Receiving laboratory: PRC Reproductive and Behavioural Physiology Tours, France
Country of origin : Belgium
Advancing in domestic birds reproduction technology through–omics techniques
The preservation and maintenance of biodiversity is essential for the sustainable production of food resources. In birds, conservation of reproductive cells such as semen and primordial germinal cells (PGCs) are major tools for ex situ management of genetic diversity. My mobility project goal is to study the bird reproductive cells proteome and to identify reproduction quality protein biomarkers/profiles to reliably define the reproductive/differentiation ability of these cells either fresh or preserved, and to optimize preservation techniques. Additional complementary epigenetic analysis will be performed as we expect that epigenetic reprogramming will have further consequences on reproductive capacities and early embryonic development.
I got my degree in Veterinary Medicine at the University of Murcia, Spain in the year 2005, and soon decided to become a researcher in Veterinary Clinical Biochemistry. My PhD project had the purpose of creating and validating new immunoassays to determine the biomarker Serum Amyloid A in pigs’ serum, saliva and meat juice. During this (challenging) project I collaborated with scientists worldwide (Spain, UK, Belgium, Austria and New Zealand). I got my PhD in 2010, and stayed for one extra year at the University of Murcia (Spain) as a research assistant working on salivary stress biomarkers. Later, I spend some months at the Veterinary School of Milan (Italy) working on pig serum proteomics and goat health biomarkers. In January 2012 I got a postdoctoral position at the Bioengineering Faculty of KU Leuven (Belgium) on pig intestinal health. I started applying high performance and conventional proteomics with the collaboration of GIGA Liège (Belgium), and realized the huge possibilities of this kind of analysis in animal production and breeding. Ever since I am very interested in how proteomics can be implemented in animal sciences, how it can help us interpreting the biological processes involved in animal reproduction, health and growth, and the translation of these results into practical solutions for farmers and veterinarians.
1. L. Soler, A. Gutiérrez, A. Müllebner, J.J. Cerón, J.C. Duvigneau. 2013. Towards a better understanding of salivary and meat juice acute phase proteins determination in pigs: an expression study. Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology, 156: 91-98.
2. Soler L., Moreno A., Niewold T., Garrido J.J. 2013. Proteomic approaches to study the pig gastrointestinal system. Current Protein & Peptide Science. In press.
3. Mavromati J., Cash P., Restelli L., Soler L. 2013. Proteomics of ovine and caprine body fluids, current studies and future promises. Current Protein & Peptide Science. In press.
4. Gutiérrez A.M., Nöbauer K., Soler L., Razzazi-Fazeli E., Gemeiner M., Cerón J.J., Miller I. 2012. Detection of potential markers for systemic disease in saliva of pigs by proteomics: A pilot study. Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology, 151:73-82.
5. Escribano D., Soler L., Gutiérrez A.M., Martínez-Subiela S., Cerón J.J. 2012 Measurement of chromogranin A in porcine saliva: validation of a TR-IFMA assay and evaluation of its application as a marker of acute stress. Animal, 9:1-8.
6. Soler L., Molenaar A., Merola N., Eckersall P.D., Gutiérrez A., Cerón J.J., Mulero V., Niewold T.A. 2012. Why working with porcine circulating serum amyloid A is a pig of a job. Journal of Theoretical Biology. 2317C:119-125.
7. Soler L., Gutiérrez A., Cerón JJ. 2012. Serum amyloid A measurements in saliva and serum in growing pigs affected by porcine respiratory and reproductive syndrome in field conditions. Research in Veterinary Science, 93:1266-1270.
8. Soler L., Gutiérrez A., Martínez-Subiela S., Cerón JJ. 2011. Fast measurement of Serum Amyloid A in different specimens from swine by using a new one-step time-resolved fluoroimmunoassay. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation, 23:902-908.
9. Soler L., Luyten T., Stinckens A., Buys N., Cerón JJ., Niewold T. Serum amyloid A3 (SAA3), not SAA1 appears to be the major acute phase SAA isoform in the pig. Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology, 141:109-115.
10. Soler L., Gutiérrez A., Martínez-Subiela S., Cerón JJ. 2011. Development and validation of a novel competitive ELISA for the detection of serum amyloid A in pigs. Veterinary Journal. 190(2):e7-11.
11. Fuentes P., Cerón JJ., Gutiérrez A., Soler L., Martínez-Subiela S. 2010. Development of fast and simple methods for porcine haptoglobin and ceruloplasmin purification. Anales de Veterinaria, 26: 43-54.
12. Gutiérrez, A.M., Martínez-Subiela, S., Soler L., Pallarés FJ., Cerón, J.J. 2008. Use of saliva for haptoglobin and C-reactive protein quantifications in porcine respiratory and reproductive affected pigs in field conditions. Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology. 132: 128-223.
13. Soler L., Martínez-Subiela S., Tecles F., Gutiérrez A., Fuentes P., Cerón JJ. 2008. Total sialic acid in pigs: new possibilities for an old inflammatory biomarker. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation. 20: 799-803.
14. González FH., Tecles F., Martinez-Subiela S. Tvarijonaviciute A., Soler L., Cerón JJ. 2008. Acute phase protein response in goats. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation. 20: 580-584.
-European awarded Doctoral Thesis in Veterinary Medicine entitled “New contributions on porcine Serum Amyloid A” June 2010. Summa cum laude and extraordinary mention by the Veterinary School of the University of Murcia.
-National Award for the Outstanding Graduate of the Year in Veterinary Medicine, awarded by the Ministry of Science and Education of Spain, 2006.
-Best research communication award in the European Society of Veterinary Clinical Pathologists Congress. Cambridge 2006.
-Best oral presentation of a young researcher. 3rd managing committee meeting and 2nd meeting of working groups 1, 2 & 3 of COST action FA1002. Vilamoura (Portugal). April 2012.
-Best oral presentation of session “Advancing methodology for farm animal proteomics and bioinformatics”. 4th managing committee meeting and 3rd meeting of working groups 1, 2 & 3 of COST action FA1002. Kosice (Slovakia). April 2013.